HeadingPic

HeadingPic

Up In The Air

Two years ago I joined the yellow team upon invitation from a friend which saw action in the 2nd Annual Filipino Basketball Tournament in Albany, New York. From then on, this was my 3rd year playing with the yellow team. As year progress by additional team are participating to this event. The tournament in its first year started with only 4 teams originally and grows to 8 teams to this date. It is oversees by an ad-hoc committee that are representatives from each team. Game rules and regulations are in amateur format are discussed and enacted upon by a vote. Player eligibility requirement must be of good moral character and having a Filipino root origin.

Basketball was one of my top favorite sports since childhood. I grew up in a school and community where this sport is being loved at most in the Philippines. It is common to see in school, colleges, universities, offices, public/private parks to have basketball courts even the streets is turn into basketball courts in the absence of recreation facilities. In the provinces alone you can notice there is a portion of farm fields that is turn into basketball courts even the floor is barely concrete or mostly uneven soil. In most schools this is the mainstream sport that is officially recognized as Physical Education class for the boys. If you grew up in the Philippines you will learn to love this game.

I am wholeheartedly proud of my teammates that given their support and as well respect -- this given me fresh look opportunities to play at heart. For this I am gratefully for my yellow teammates. Though I say I am not a top performer but this playing opportunity that my teammates given me was the most sporting events that is memorable to me. Considering that I have not been given this opportunity to play in schools sport festivals with most of the times sitting on bench or have not been selected at all in the team.




My most favorite spot to shoot the ball is in the three point lane perimeter. In this perimeter you will hardly see it is defended if not most, it is near most of the time. When it is not defended it gives me an opportunity to release the ball highly up in the air and hoping most of the time that it goes in the hoop. I would also try to penetrate the inside lane for a rebound but not most of the time. In each game I was able to pull a ball from a rebound though let say a lucky ball that comes to me, steal only once a while. What were most amazing and wonderful were my teammates and audience cheers every time I makes 3-point goal. I have not been able to see them roar during the game but in the after the game video recaps.









Our yellow team had improved to a record of 4-3 win-loss. In our first year we have not win any single game but still we keep on playing at our best. Second year we won twice and lost four games (2-4). We almost had the opportunity to play in the finals this year but we lost to orange team which had younger and stronger men in their roster. Eventually the same orange team becomes the champion. This year only a few of us are the originals some have formed their own while others have opted to rest and we added talented new players in our roster. Next year we hope to play again next year which I have considered a goodwill game. Win or loss it does not matter what matters most is you foster friendship in the game.

No comments: